The Premier League Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Standard (PLEDIS) was launched in 2021 to build on the Premier League Equality Standard, which was created in 2015.
It provides a framework to help Clubs progress equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) across all areas of their business, including the work of their Community Trust (or equivalent).
A senior member of staff in each Club assumes the role of designated Equality Lead Officer and is responsible, with executive support and the Club’s Equality Working Group, for driving EDI forward.
All Premier League Clubs, and some EFL Clubs, work towards achieving the Preliminary, Intermediate and Advanced levels of the Standard.
Once the Advanced level is achieved, Clubs receive assessments to support their continuous EDI development.
Throughout the PLEDIS process Clubs submit extensive evidence to show that they are meeting a range of requirements relating to multiple areas of work, including policies and procedures, leadership, learning and development, promoting inclusion and tackling discrimination.
These requirements become progressively more challenging as Clubs move between the levels of achievement.
The independent evaluation, assessment and verification process:
- A rigorous independent evaluation and assessment of a Club’s evidence is undertaken, which also includes mandatory Club visits. The independent assessor meets a range of Club personnel, including equality leads, board members, and others involved with the club such as supporter groups and external EDI steering groups.
- An independent PLEDIS Panel, made up of Panel Members appointed for their expertise and experience in EDI across a range of industries, assesses the final stage of the Club’s submission.
- At Panel Member assessment meetings senior club representatives present the work they have undertaken to progress EDI and participate in a 60-minute question-and-answer session with the Panel.
- The independent Panel then determines whether the requirements of the Standard have been met and whether a Club should be awarded a level of the Standard.
The Premier League Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Standard covers two broad areas:
- A Club’s culture, policies, leadership and people
- Developing Club services – the work Clubs do to encourage people from all communities to participate in all activities.
PLEDIS encompasses all characteristics protected under the Equality Act 2010 that ensures individuals are not discriminated against on the grounds of:
- Sexual orientation
- Ethnic group
- Religion and belief
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
For further information, or to request a hard copy of the PLEDIS in large print or braille formats please contact firstname.lastname@example.org