The Under-18 Premier League replaced the Premier Academy League at the start of the 2012/13 season with the aim to enhance youth development and help transition players between the Academy and first team.
The 25-team league is split into North and South Groups, with 13 sides in the North and 12 in the South.
The two regional division champions will play in a national final for the U18 Premier League title. The one-off tie will be held at a main stadium.
The 2022/23 U18 Premier League takes place under the following criteria:
- In total, 25 clubs compete, with each of the clubs having applied for Category One status. There are 18 clubs from the Premier League, six from the Championship and one from League One.
- The 25 clubs are split into two regional groups, the North Group and the South Group.
- Clubs will play each opposing team in their regional group twice, home and away.
- For the overall title, the North Group and South Group winners will play in a one-off national final at a main stadium.
- Clubs are not allowed to field any outfield players outside the Under-18 age category. However, the goalkeeper is permitted to come from the Under-19 age category.
Under-18 Premier League winners
2021/22: Manchester City
2020/21: Manchester City
2018/19: Derby County
2015/16: Manchester City
*National final did not finish due to curtailment of season