Matchweek 21
All times shown are your local time




Kevin De Bruyne produced a match-winning performance in his first Premier League appearance since August with a goal and an assist from the bench as Manchester City came from behind to beat Newcastle United 3-2 in an absorbing contest.

City were behind at the break after quickfire goals from Alexander Isak and Anthony Gordon following Bernardo Silva’s sublime opener, but De Bruyne equalised before setting up Oscar Bobb to steal all three points in stoppage time with his first Premier League goal.

A third consecutive win moves the champions two points behind leaders Liverpool, having played the same number of matches.

How the match unfolded

The match started in dramatic fashion, with Sean Longstaff tapping in Isak’s cross in the second minute, only for the goal to be disallowed for offside in the build-up. 

But in the incident, City goalkeeper Ederson picked up an injury following a collision with team-mate Kyle Walker, and after initially playing on and presenting a great chance to Gordon, who failed to capitalise, the Brazilian was replaced by Stefan Ortega.

Chances came at both ends, with Miguel Almiron’s cutback poked wide by Isak while Silva flashed an effort over the crossbar for City.

Pep Guardiola’s side were starting to purr, and took a deserved lead on 26 minutes when Walker’s low cross was superbly flicked in by Silva.

But Newcastle were posing a threat on the counter-attack, and the home side levelled eight minutes later through Isak, who latched on to a wonderful Bruno Guimaraes pass before curling a fine strike beyond Ortega into the top right-hand corner. 

St James’ Park was rocking, and two minutes later Gordon fired Newcastle into the lead. The winger curled a powerful effort in the bottom right-hand corner with a finish similar to that of Isak.

The chances continued to flow as Isak forced a save from Ortega while Julian Alvarez was twice denied by Martin Dubravka. 

De Bruyne’s introduction on 69 minutes was the turning point.

The Belgian, making his first Premier League appearance since the opening weekend, picked up the ball in space and drove forward before side-footing beyond Dubravka from just outside the penalty area to equalise in the 74th minute.

De Bruyne, making his first Premier League appearance in 155 days, then produced the match’s decisive moment in the first minute of stoppage time.

He picked out fellow substitute Bobb with a sensational pass in behind the Newcastle defence, with the Norwegian then controlling the ball and skilfully moving around Dubravka before tapping into the net.

A first Premier League goal for the 20-year-old, who joined City from Valarenga in 2019, earned City a crucial three points in their quest to earn a historic fourth consecutive top-flight title.

Meanwhile, a fourth straight defeat drops Newcastle down to 10th on 29 points.

Newcastle report | Man City report

Match Officials

Referee: Chris Kavanagh. Assistants: Simon Bennett, Neil Davies. Fourth official: Tim Robinson. VAR: Peter Bankes. Assistant VAR: Simon Long.

Show All

Club Reports

Match officials

Referee: Chris Kavanagh

Fourth Official: Tim Robinson

VAR: Peter Bankes

Assistant VAR: Simon Long

Match related content will appear here

      Season So Far

      Man City

      Top Player Stats

        Match Stats

        Man City


        Total Wins
        Man City
        Total Wins



        Draws 9

        Recent Meetings