Capital One Cup: Van Gaal urges patience after Manchester United shock exit | Barclays Premier League

Cookies on

The Premier League website employs cookies to improve your user experience. We have updated our cookie policy to reflect changes in the law on cookies and tracking technologies used on websites. If you continue on this website, you will be providing your consent to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Wednesday 27 August 2014

Capital One Cup: Van Gaal urges patience after Man United shock exit

United lose 4-0 at MK Dons, while five Barclays Premier League clubs go through to third round

  • Will Grigg scores against Manchester United in MK Dons' 4-0 win

  • Crystal Palace celebrate one of three goals scored by Dwight Gayle (second from left)

  • Graziano Pelle gets off the mark with a last-minute goal for Southampton at Millwall

  • Bafetimbi Gomis kept Swansea's perfect record intact with the winner against Rotherham

  • Boaz Myhill pulls off an excellent save to deny Oxford's Jake Wright

  • Winston Reid scored an own goal before West Ham exited on penalties

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has asked supporters of the club to show patience following his side's shock 4-0 defeat by Milton Keynes Dons in the Capital One Cup, but there was better news for supporters of Crystal Palace, Newcastle United, Southampton, Swansea City and West Bromwich Albion, who all progressed to the third round.

MK Dons 4-0 Manchester United

With eight players out injured Van Gaal deployed a makeshift side as Manchester United appeared in the second round for the first time in 19 years but MK Dons, playing before a record crowd of 26,969, took full advantage with two goals apiece from Will Grigg and Benik Afobe, the striker on loan from Arsenal.

"It's difficult for the fans, I know that, but they have to believe in our philosophy," Van Gaal told MUTV. "At the end, they can judge, but not now. I hope they shall maintain their confidence in the club and in our philosophy because that philosophy takes time. We are building up a team which you can't make in one month, even one year."

United, who have a point from two Barclays Premier League matches so far under Van Gaal’s tenure, will be seeking their first win of the season against Burnley at Turf Moor in the lunchtime kick-off.

Walsall 0-3 Crystal Palace

Dwight Gayle rattled off a first-half hat-trick as Crystal Palace sealed their first competitive victory of the campaign.

Under the caretaker stewardship of Keith Millen the Eagles never looked back after Gayle beat the offside trap to drill in the opening goal on seven minutes. The 23-year-old then scored a 25th-minute free-kick before completing his treble four minutes before the interval. Palace will be hoping the victory will boost their chances of a first Barclays Premier League victory of the season at Newcastle United on Saturday.

Millwall 0-2 Southampton

Jack Cork and Graziano Pelle scored their first goals for Southampton as the south-coast side overcame Millwall at the New Den for their first victory of the season.

Pelle left it late before scoring opening his account for the club he joined from Feyenoord in the summer, producing a smart finish in the last minute after Cork had given Saints the lead early in the second half, when following up on a save from Pelle by David Forde. Saints will be hoping for a similar result when they travel to West Ham United in the Barclays Premier League on Saturday.

Swansea City 1-0 Rotherham

Swansea City continued their strong start to the season with another victory as Bafetimbi Gomis scored his first goal for the club since joining from Lyon.

The Swans have hit the ground running this season with back-to-back Barclays Premier League victories and Garry Monk's side resumed winning ways as Gomis slid a shot past Scott Loach midway through the first half after a fine turn inside the penalty area. Swansea are next at home to West Bromwich Albion on Saturday.

Gillingham 0-1 Newcastle United

Newcastle United earned their first win of the season after edging League One side Gillingham. The only goal came in the 25th minute when former Sunderland player John Egan turned Gabriel Obertan's cross into his own net.

West Bromwich Albion 1-1 Oxford United (WBA win 7-6 on penalties)

West Bromwich Albion scraped into the third round of the competition after being taken to penalties by League Two side Oxford United. The Baggies won 7-6 on penalties after Oxford captain Jake Wright's attempt was saved by Boaz Myhill and Jason Davidson converted the decisive spot-kick.

Alan Irvine's men took the lead when Jonny Mullins scored an own goal, only for Danny Hylton to force extra-time with an equaliser on 85 minutes, paving the way for the late spot-kick drama in which Yousouf Mulumbu, Saido Berahino, Claudio Yacob, Craig Dawson, Andre Wisdom and Christian Gamboa were all successful from the spot, before Davidson's winner.

West Ham United 1-1 Sheffield United (Sheffield Utd win 5-4 on penalties)

West Ham United were also taken all the way by lower-league opposition but could not succeed from 12 yards, losing to Sheffield United in the penalty shoot-out.

The Hammers looked on course for victory five minutes before the interval when Diafra Sakho headed in his first goal since his arrival from Metz, but the Championship side levelled thanks to a Winston Reid own goal on 58 minutes and Nigel Clough's side held their nerve in the shoot-out, with Mark Howard's penalty save from Enner Valencia the decisive moment.

Leicester City 0-1 Shrewsbury Town

It was also a disappointing night for Leicester City, who lost narrowly at home to Shrewsbury Town. Andy Mangan decided the contest with a well-taken free-kick seven minutes before half-time as the League Two side condemned the Foxes, who host Arsenal in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday, to their second straight defeat.

Burnley 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Burnley were another of the top-flight's newly promoted sides to lose by the slenderest of margins. There was little to choose between Sean Dyche's side and Wednesday but the visitors edged the tie thanks to Atdhe Nuhiu's penalty, awarded after Jason Shackell had upended midfielder Jeremy Helan, 12 minutes from time.

Capital One Cup second-round fixtures

Wednesday, 27 August
Aston Villa v Leyton Orient, 7.45pm, Villa Park
Birmingham City v Sunderland, 7.45pm, St Andrew’s
Burton Albion v  Queens Park Rangers, 7.45pm, Pirelli Stadium
Stoke City v Portsmouth, 7.45pm, Britannia Stadium

Share this page