Everton's Seamus Coleman scores his third goal in four appearances against Southampton
Ahead of a full programme of Barclays Premier League matches on New Year's Day there are some intriguing statistics to whet the appetite, including why Crystal Palace have every cause for optimism ahead of the visit of Norwich City, why Luis Suarez will be looking forward to another run out at Anfield and how Manchester United's Wayne Rooney is just one goal away from a goalscoring landmark only previously achieved by Frank Lampard. For those stats and much more read on.
Wednesday 1 January
12.45pm Swansea City v Manchester City | #SWAMCI | Matchday Live >>
- Manchester City have kept five clean sheets in their last six Barclays Premier League meetings with Swansea City.
- The Citizens have won four Barclays Premier League matches in a row; they have not won 5+ in a row within a single season since a spell of six wins won them the title in 2011-12. Arsenal are the only team to record five Premier League wins in a row so far in 2013-14 (Aug-Sept).
- Swansea took only 39 points from 37 Barclays Premier League fixtures in 2013. They won 55 from 39 matches in 2012.
- Jesus Navas has made three assists and scored one goal in his last four Barclays Premier League appearances.
- Man City have scored 29 second-half goals in the Barclays Premier League this season; a league-high.
- Swansea have scored only four goals in their last five Barclays Premier League matches.
- Manuel Pellegrini's side need two goals in this fixture to match the best goal total recorded by a Barclays Premier League team after 20 matches (56 by Man City in 2011-12)
- Nine teams have won more away points in the Barclays Premier League than Manchester City (11) this season.
3pm Arsenal v Cardiff City | #ARSCAR | Matchday Live >>
- Arsenal are unbeaten in the last 12 matches in all competitions against Cardiff City, winning seven and drawing five.
- The Gunners have only scored 16 times in nine Barclays Premier League home matches this season.
- Only Everton have conceded as few goals as Arsenal (18) this season in the top-flight.
- Only 18 different players have started a Barclays Premier League game for Cardiff this season, fewer than at any other Premier League club.
- Arsenal have the best shooting accuracy (54.5%) and Cardiff the worst (35.7%) in the Barclays Premier League this season.
- Cardiff have fashioned more attempts from indirect free-kick moves than any other side this season (20 – almost three times as many as Arsenal's seven)
- Arsenal's substitutes have provided four assists this season, more than any other team.
- The Gunners have conceded fewer fouls than any other Barclays Premier League team this season (184) but seven clubs have received fewer yellow cards.
- Of the seven players to have picked up a league-high six yellow cards in the Barclays Premier League this season, Mathieu Flamini has committed the fewest fouls (13).
3pm Crystal Palace v Norwich City | #CRYNOR | Matchday Live >>
- Crystal Palace are unbeaten in 13 home league meetings with Norwich City (W9 D4).
- Palace are the only team yet to win a point from a losing position in the Barclays Premier League this season; losing all 13 matches in which they have trailed.
- Despite Palace being outside the relegation zone, no team has lost more fixtures than the Eagles (13).
- Norwich have lost their last two matches in a row. It's the third time this has happened this season but they are yet to lose three in a row.
- Palace have lost three of their last four matches but have taken nine points from their last six (W3 L3).
- The Canaries have made more goalline clearances than any other side (eight) in the Barclays Premier League this season.
- Only four teams in Barclays Premier League history have recorded fewer goals in their opening 19 matches than Crystal Palace have this season (12).
- Norwich have won only two of their last 23 Barclays Premier League away matches in London (D6 L15).
- Palace (nine) only gained two points fewer than league leaders Arsenal (11) in December.
3pm Fulham v West Ham United | #FULWHU | Matchday Live >>
- Fulham did not manage a single shot on target against West Ham United in the reverse fixture in November.
- Carlton Cole has scored seven goals in his last nine Barclays Premier League appearances against Fulham.
- Fulham have conceded the first goal of the game more often than any other Barclays Premier League side (14).
- Fulham have leaked 15 goals in their last four Barclays Premier League fixtures.
- West Ham have conceded nine goals in their last three Barclays Premier League matches (exactly three in each match).
- Fulham have conceded 11 goals in London derbies this season - more than any other side.
- Fulham (16 points) are two points better off than they were at this point in 2007-08 (14 points), when they eventually recovered to finish 17th.
- The Hammers have one point fewer (15) than they did at this point in 2010-11 (16) when they were last relegated from the Barclays Premier League.
- Fulham are looking for their 25th victory in Barclays Premier League London derbies (W24 D31 L58).
- Since the start of last season, Fulham have won 18% of matches that Dimitar Berbatov has not started (2 of 11), compared to 30% when he has (14 of 46).
3pm Liverpool v Hull City | #LIVHUL | Matchday Live >>
- Liverpool have won seven and lost none of eight previous home matches against Hull City in all competitions, scoring at least twice on every occasion.
- Hull's victory over Liverpool in December was their first victory over the Reds in any competition (D4 L12).
- Steve Bruce's side have scored as many goals in their past two Barclays Premier League matches (eight) as they had in the previous 10.
- Liverpool have scored at least three goals in each of their last six Barclays Premier League home fixtures.
- Luis Suarez has scored 13 goals in his last five Barclays Premier League home matches.
- Thirteen different players have scored for Hull this season, no team has seen a wider spread.
- Only four teams have scored 5+ goals in a Barclays Premier League match this season, Liverpool and Hull are two of them (along with Man City and Newcastle).
- Liverpool have made fewer substitutions than any other Barclays Premier League side in 2013-14 (44).
- Hull have hit fewer shots than any other side in the Barclays Premier League this season (147), while Liverpool's total of 124 shots on target is almost double that of Hull (65).
- Liverpool have hit the woodwork 16 times this season, twice as often as any other side.
- Hull have played seven Barclays Premier League matches in January and not won any of them (D3 L4).
3pm Southampton v Chelsea | #SOUCHE | Matchday Live >>
- Southampton have only won one of their last nine Barclays Premier League matches against Chelsea (D3 L5), but that was in this fixture last season.
- Chelsea are likely to be missing Frank Lampard, who has scored four goals in his last five Barclays Premier League starts against Southampton.
- Saints only had one shot on target in the reverse fixture last month (the Rodriguez goal after 13 seconds).
- 37% of the goals Chelsea have conceded this season have come from set-pieces, the highest proportion in the Barclays Premier League (excluding penalties).
- The south-coast side have lost only one of their last six Barclays Premier League home matches against sides from London (W3 D2).
- Jose Mourinho has made more substitutions than any other Barclays Premier League manager this season (57).
- Chelsea have conceded 799 Barclays Premier League goals.
- No Chelsea striker has scored a Barclays Premier League away goal since December 2012.
- Jay Rodriguez has scored five goals in his last seven Barclays Premier League appearances for Southampton, with one of those coming against Chelsea.
- Chelsea have lost as many away matches as they have won this season (W3 D3 L3).
3pm Stoke City v Everton | #STKEVE | Matchday Live >>
- Stoke City have only won two of their last 16 Barclays Premier League fixtures against Everton (D5 L9).
- In the reverse fixture in November, Everton scored more goals (four) than they had in their last five meetings with Stoke in the Barclays Premier League combined (three).
- Stoke have won seven points in 11 Barclays Premier League fixtures this season against sides currently in the top 12 places of the table (W1 D4 L6).
- Everton full-back Seamus Coleman has scored three goals in his last four Barclays Premier League appearances.
- Tottenham Hotspur's Kyle Walker (27) is the only Barclays Premier League defender to have created more chances than Coleman this season (22).
- Everton's defenders have scored nine goals this season, five more than Stoke's strikers have mustered (four).
- Stoke's total of four goals from strikers is the fewest of any Barclays Premier League club this season.
- Sixteen of Stoke's 21 Barclays Premier League points this season have come at the Britannia Stadium (76%).
- Everton (nine) are the only Barclays Premier League team to have conceded fewer than 10 goals away from home this season.
- Everton have scored inside the last 20 minutes in eight of their last 11 Barclays Premier League matches.
3pm Sunderland v Aston Villa | #SUNAVL | Matchday Live >>
- Sunderland have scored 16 goals in the last 22 Barclays Premier League matches against Aston Villa, and only more than once in a match on one occasion.
- There have been four red cards in the last four Barclays Premier League meetings between Sunderland and Villa at Villa Park.
- Sunderland are the only team in the bottom eight not to have won a match against a fellow side currently in that section of the Barclays Premier League table.
- Cardiff (four) were the only Barclays Premier League team to score fewer goals than Aston Villa (five) in December.
- Sunderland are unbeaten in their last four Barclays Premier League matches (W1 D3) - they last went five undefeated in the opening five matches of the 2012-13 season.
- No Aston Villa manager has overseen a Barclays Premier League clean sheet in January since Gerard Houllier in 2011.
- Sunderland have won eight and lost only two (D2) of their last 12 Barclays Premier League matches in January.
- Sunderland lead the Barclays Premier League this season in both own goals (5) and red cards (5).
- 27% of Sunderland's goals have been scored in the opening 15 minutes, the highest proportion in the Barclays Premier League this season.
3pm West Bromwich Albion v Newcastle United | #WBANEW | Matchday Live >>
- In the last 11 Barclays Premier League meetings between Newcastle and West Brom, neither side has kept a clean sheet.
- Papiss Demba Cisse has scored three goals in four Barclays Premier League matches against West Bromwich Albion.
- West Brom are on a run of nine Barclays Premier League matches without a victory (D5 L4) – the longest such run in the competition currently.
- Albion have conceded in each of their last nine Barclays Premier League matches, only two sides (Palace and Sunderland) have recorded runs of 10 matches this season.
- Newcastle are yet to draw a Barclays Premier League away match this season (W5 L4).
- The Magpies have gained 15 points from the 12 away goals they have scored in 2013-14.
- The Baggies have drawn their last three fixtures in a row; no team has recorded four in a row in the Barclays Premier League in 2013-14.
- Shola Ameobi has made 131 Barclays Premier League appearances as a substitute, more than any other player in the competition's history.
- Nicolas Anelka has scored six times against Newcastle in the Barclays Premier League; only against four clubs has he managed more goals (Blackburn, Everton, Sunderland and Arsenal)
- If the Barclays Premier League season had started in November then Newcastle would be second, behind Manchester City.
5.30pm Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur | #MUNTOT | Matchday Live >>
- Wayne Rooney has scored nine Barclays Premier League goals against Tottenham Hotspur, including seven in his last six starts against them.
- Spurs have won just one of the last 25 Barclays Premier League matches against Manchester United (W1 D7 L17).
- Man United scored two goals from three shots on target in their reverse fixture against Spurs this season.
- Spurs' victory at Old Trafford last season was their first in 21 Barclays Premier League attempts (D3 L17).
- The north Londoners have failed to score in 13 of their last 19 Barclays Premier League trips to Old Trafford.
- United have won their last four Barclays Premier League matches; they have not won 5+ in a row since a spell of seven in a row in March 2013.
- Rooney needs one goal to become only the second player in Premier League history to score 10+ goals in 10 consecutive seasons (Lampard achieved this last season).
- The England international has two assists more (nine) than any other Barclays Premier League player this season.
- Spurs have won more penalties than any other Barclays Premier League team this season (4 – all scored by Roberto Soldado).
- However, United have now gone 76 Barclays Premier League fixtures without conceding a penalty (equivalent to two whole seasons).