Roberto Soldado scores his fourth penalty for Tottenham Hotspur this season against Stoke
Sunday's action taught us how Roberto Soldado is a faultless penalty taker for Tottenham Hotspur, why Martin Skrtel's goal against Chelsea was so special and why Arsenal are the unofficial champions of 2013. For all of the weekend's statistics from another eventful Barclays Premier League mathchweek read on.
Sunday 29 December
Everton 2-1 Southampton | #EVESOU | Matchday Live >>
- Everton have won four and lost none of their last eight Barclays Premier League meetings with Southampton (D4).
- The Saints have only won one of 15 Barclays Premier League trips to Goodison Park (D3 L11).
- Romelu Lukaku ended his Barclays Premier League goal drought at 524 minutes.
- Seamus Coleman has now scored more goals this season (five) than he did in the previous four Barclays Premier League seasons combined.
- Coleman has scored three goals in his last four appearances.
- Everton defenders have contributed nine Barclays Premier League goals this season, only one fewer than their strikers have.
- Roberto Martinez's side only had two shots before half-time.
- Everton's pass completion of 73% is the lowest they’ve recorded under Martinez.
Newcastle United 0-1 Arsenal | #NEWARS | Matchday Live >>
- Arsenal have lost just one of their last 13 Barclays Premier League trips to St James Park (D7 W5).
- Olivier Giroud ended a run of 499 minutes without a Barclays Premier League goal. Indeed, Giroud had gone 679 minutes in all competitions without a goal for the Gunners.
- Giroud has only scored two of his 19 Barclays Premier League goals outside of London, with both strikes outside the capital arriving in the north-east (Sunderland and Newcastle).
- Theo Walcott now has four goals and two assists in his last five Barclays Premier League appearances.
- Since the start of last season, only Wayne Rooney (19), Steven Gerrard and Eden Hazard (15) have more Barclays Premier League goal assists than Walcott (14)
- Newcastle have failed to score in three consecutive Barclays Premier League home matches against Arsenal for the first time.
- Arsenal have failed to score a first-half goal in four of their last five Barclays Premier League matches.
- Arsenal have won the most Barclays Premier League points in 2013, and their 82-point tally is at least five better than any other side managed this year.
- Arsenal have recorded 18 away wins in all competitions in 2013 (from 27 matches), a record in a calendar year under Wenger.
Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool | #CHELIV | Matchday Live >>
- Six of Chelsea's last eight Barclays Premier League wins against Liverpool have come under Jose Mourinho.
- Martin Skrtel's goal was the 1,000th scored in the Barclays Premier League in 2013.
- Liverpool have now hit the woodwork 16 times this season, more than any other Barclays Premier League side.
- Samuel Eto'o's goal against Liverpool came from only his seventh touch of the game.
- Chelsea have conceded a higher proportion of goals from set-pieces than any other Barclays Premier League club this season.
- Luis Suarez had only two shots, his joint-lowest figure of the season.
- Eden Hazard has eight Barclays Premier League goals this season, only one fewer than he managed last season.
- Oscar's assist for Eto'o's goal was his first of the season.
- Liverpool have not started the New Year in the top four since 2008-09 (when they were in first place).
Tottenham Hotspur 3-0 Stoke City | #TOTSTK | Matchday Live >>
- Stoke have won just five points away from home in the Barclays Premier League this season; a joint-league low along with Hull (W1 D2 L7).
- Tottenham Hotspur ended a run of eight Barclays Premier League matches without a clean sheet, which was the longest current run in the league before the match.
- The north Londoners have only lost two of their 39 previous home league meetings with Stoke City (W29 D8).
- The Potters have now conceded a league-high nine goals in the 15 minutes leading up to half-time.
- Spurs have netted four goals from the penalty spot this season; more than any other Barclays Premier League side. Indeed, Roberto Soldado has netted all four; more than any other BPL player.
- Soldado scored his first Barclays Premier League goal in eight matches. It was his first top-flight goal in 624 minutes.
- Mousa Dembele's 65th-minute strike was his first Barclays Premier League goal since scoring on his Spurs debut back in September 2012 against Norwich.
- Soldado has assisted twice as many Barclays Premier League goals as any other Spurs player this season (four).
- Tottenham had 20 shots in this game, Stoke only two.
- Stoke's only shot on target came in the 83rd minute.
Saturday 28 December
West Ham United 3-3 West Bromwich Albion | #WHUWBA | Matchday Live >>
- Joe Cole’s last six Barclays Premier League goals have all come at the Boleyn Ground (five for West Ham United, one for Liverpool).
- Nicolas Anelka became the ninth player to score for six different Barclays Premier League clubs by grabbing his first West Bromwich Albion strike.
- The other eight players to score for six different teams in the Barclays Premier League are Craig Bellamy, Marcus Bent, Darren Bent, Nick Barmby, Peter Crouch, Andrew Cole, Les Ferdinand and Robbie Keane.
- Nicolas Anelka has been involved in eight goals (four goals, four assists) in his last nine Barclays Premier League matches against West Ham.
- West Brom have only won one of their last 10 Barclays Premier League meetings with the Hammers (D5 L4).
- Albion are on a run of nine Barclays Premier League fixtures without a victory (D5 L4) – the longest such run in the competition currently.
- Sam Allardyce's side have either conceded no goals (three times) or exactly three times (five times) in their last eight home matches in the Barclays Premier League.
Aston Villa 1-1 Swansea City | #AVLSWA | Matchday Live >>
- Gabriel Agbonlahor scored his first Barclays Premier League goal against Swansea City; he has now scored against 33 of the 34 top-flight teams he has faced, only failing to score against Crystal Palace (on Boxing Day).
- Agbonlahor has scored just three times in his last 30 Barclays Premier League appearances at Villa Park.
- Agbonlahor’s strike was Villa’s first home goal of the season to come before the half-time interval.
- Aston Villa have won only eight points in their 10 Barclays Premier League home matches this season (W2 D2 L6).
- Swansea have won only three points in their last five Barclays Premier League matches (D3 L2).
- The Swans have taken only 39 points from 37 Barclays Premier League fixtures in 2013.
Hull City 6-0 Fulham | #HULFUL | Matchday Live >>
- Fulham have conceded the first goal of the match more often than any other Barclays Premier League side (14).
- Robert Koren scored his first Barclays Premier League goal since 17 January 2009 (for West Brom v Middlesbrough).
- George Boyd and Matty Fryatt both netted their first ever Barclays Premier League goals.
- Tom Huddlestone scored his first Barclays Premier League goal of the season, with his 39th shot (including blocked).
- Hull City have scored four goals in a single Barclays Premier League game for the first time in their history (and then went on to score six).
- The Tigers had not won a league game by six or more goals since October 1994 (7-1 v Crewe Alexandra).
- Fulham conceded six goals in a Barclays Premier League match for the first time in their history and for the first time in the league since November 1993 (6-4 v Exeter City in the third tier).
- It was also the first time a Steve Bruce side has scored six times in the Premier League.
- The last team to score six goals in a single half of a Barclays Premier League match was Arsenal on 29 December 2012 (7-3 v Newcastle).
Manchester City 1-0 Crystal Palace | #MCICRY | Matchday Live >>
- Tony Pulis has managed a Barclays Premier League side at the Etihad six times and has lost each time, with his teams conceding 15 and scoring none.
- The only two teams to stop Manchester City scoring in the first-half at home this season were in the Championship last season (Crystal Palace in this match, Hull back in August).
- Edin Dzeko ended a run of six Barclays Premier League appearances without a goal with the only strike of the match.
- Manchester City have scored 54 times this season; more than any side in Barclays Premier League history has managed in their opening 19 fixtures.
- Jesus Navas has made three assists and scored one goal in his last four Barclays Premier League appearances.
- Manchester City are the only team in the Barclays Premier League this season yet to drop a point at home (P10 W10 D0 L0).
- City are unbeaten in their final match of the calendar year since returning to the Barclays Premier League in 2002-03 (W6 D6).
- Manuel Pellegrini's side have scored 29 second-half goals in the Barclays Premier League this season; a league-high.
Norwich City 0-1 Manchester United | #NORMUN | Matchday Live >>
- Danny Welbeck has scored four goals and assisted one in his last four Barclays Premier League appearances.
- Norwich have lost 14 and won just two of their last 17 Barclays Premier League meetings with Manchester United (W2 D1).
- The Canaries have scored a total of only eight goals in 13 Barclays Premier League games against Man Utd.
- United have won their last four Barclays Premier League matches; the joint-longest current run with neighbours Man City.
- The Red Devils kept only their second clean sheet in eight league fixtures, with both coming on the road.
- United have not conceded a penalty in any of their last 76 Barclays Premier League matches.
Cardiff City 2-2 Sunderland | #CARSUN | Matchday Live >>
- Sunderland are unbeaten in four away matches in the Barclays Premier League (W1 D3).
- All four of Fraizer Campbell's Barclays Premier League goals for Cardiff City have been scored at the Cardiff City Stadium.
- Campbell laid on his first assist of the season. His last came in February 2012 (for Sunderland v Norwich).
- The Bluebirds had seven shots on target against Sunderland; more than they have managed in a single Barclays Premier League encounter this season.
- Sunderland have scored just five times in their last 11 away matches in the Barclays Premier League; with this fixture being the only occasion in that run that they have scored twice.
- The last time Sunderland scored more than once in an away league fixture was against Newcastle United in April (12 matches ago).
- Steven Fletcher ended a run of nine Barclays Premier League appearances without a goal by scoring Sunderland's first goal.
- The Black Cats battled back to claim a point from a losing position; the first time they have done so this season. Crystal Palace are now the only team yet to do so.
- Cardiff City have only been in the lead on six occasions in the Barclays Premier League this season. No side has led less frequently (Villa also six).