Peter Whittingham has scored or assisted half of Cardiff's goals this season
Ahead of this weekend's action there are some intriguing statistics to whet the appetite, including why Dimitar Berbatov and Jermain Defoe like playing on Boxing Day, why Theo Walcott is looking forward to facng West Ham and why even Luis Suarez will have his work cut out to help Liverpool get one over on Manchester City.
Thursday 26 December
12.45pm Hull City v Manchester United | #HULMUN | Matchday Live >>
- Hull City have conceded only three goals in eight Barclays Premier League home fixtures this season, which is the best home defensive record in the top flight.
- The last time this fixture was played Wayne Rooney scored all four goals in a 4-0 win for the Red Devils at Old Trafford in January 2010.
- Manchester United have won 16 of the last 17 matches they have played on 26 December, with the defeat away to Middlesbrough in 2002 the exception.
- Hull's only previous Barclays Premier League meeting on 26 December was a 5-1 defeat at Manchester City when then-manager Phil Brown did the half-time team talk on the pitch.
- Danny Welbeck has scored in successive Barclays Premier League matches for the first time since April 2012.
- Wayne Rooney (149 goals for Man Utd) is one goal away from becoming only the second player in Barclays Premier League history to reach 150 goals for a single Barclays Premier League club (Thierry Henry – 175 for Arsenal).
- Of the current Barclays Premier League sides, Hull City have the lowest points-per-match record in December (0.80 – 12 points from 15 games).
3pm Aston Villa v Crystal Palace | #AVLCRY | Matchday Live >>
- Aston Villa have failed to score in four of their last five Barclays Premier League home fixtures.
- No team has picked up fewer away points than Crystal Palace this season (three, level with Sunderland)
- Villa have won only one of their last 12 Barclays Premier League matches played on 26 December, that a 4-0 defeat by Everton in 2005 (W1 D4 L7).
- Villa drew 4-4 with Chelsea on 26 December 2007, which was then the highest-scoring Barclays Premier League match.
- This match has the two sides with the lowest average possession figures in the 2013-14 Barclays Premier League season face one another – Crystal Palace (40.3%) and Aston Villa (42.2%)
- Maroaune Chamakh has attempted only five shots on target in 1,239 minutes of Barclays Premier League action this season, but has scored with four of these shots.
3pm Cardiff City v Southampton | #CARSOU | Matchday Live >>
- Cardiff City have won the last five home league matches against Southampton, all by a one-goal margin.
- Southampton have won only one of their previous 12 Barclays Premier League matches played on 26 December (W1 D6 L5)
- The Saints have scored a total of only three goals in their last seven Barclays Premier League fixtures on Boxing Day.
- Mauricio Pochettino's side have gone eight Barclays Premier League matches without keeping a clean sheet; the longest current run in the top flight.
- The Bluebirds have netted only five goals in their last nine Barclays Premier League matches.
- All three of Jordon Mutch's goals for Cardiff in the Barclays Premier League have come away from home.
- Peter Whittingham (two goals, four assists) has had a hand in half of Cardiff's last 12 Barclays Premier League goals.
- Adam Lallana has netted more goals this season in 17 Barclays Premier League appearances (four) than he managed in 30 top-flight appearances last season (three).
3pm Chelsea v Swansea City | #CHESWA | Matchday Live >>
- Chelsea have been reduced to 10 men in three of their last six meetings with Swansea City in all competitions.
- The Blues have never lost a Barclays Premier League match on 26 December since Jose Mourinho began his first spell at the club.
- Frank Lampard has played more Boxing Day matches than any other player in Barclays Premier League history (15).
- Just three of Wilifried Bony's 10 goals for Swansea (in all competitions) have come away from home.
3pm Everton v Sunderland | #EVESUN | Matchday Live >>
- Romelu Lukaku has scored three goals in two Barclays Premier League appearances against Sunderland.
- Sunderland's victory over Everton in April ended a run of 16 without a win in the Barclays Premier League for the Black Cats against the Toffees (D4 L12).
- Everton have lost just two of their last 36 Barclays Premier League home matches (W24 D10 L2).
- No team has picked up fewer away points than Sunderland this season (three, level with Crystal Palace)
- Everton have not lost a Barclays Premier League fixture on 26 December since 2005 (W3 D3 since then).
- The Blues' haul of 34 points this season is only two fewer than Roberto Martinez managed in the whole of 2012-13 with Wigan Athletic.
- Five of the Toffees' last 11 Barclays Premier League goals have come from their full-backs (Coleman three, Oviedo two).
- Sunderland have been given more red cards in Barclays Premier League matches than any other side this season (five).
3pm Newcastle United v Stoke City | #NEWSTK | Matchday Live >>
- Yohan Cabaye has scored three goals in three Barclays Premier League appearances against Stoke City.
- Jonathan Walters has scored in four of his last five Barclays Premier League appearances against Newcastle.
- Papiss Demba Cisse has scored three goals in three Barclays Premier League appearances against Stoke.
- Newcastle are looking for their 200th win at St James' Park in the Barclays Premier League.
- The Magpies have lost six of their last seven Barclays Premier League matches played on 26 December.
- Newcastle United have scored in 14 of their last 15 Barclays Premier League matches, only failing to score in a 0-3 defeat by Swansea.
- The Black Cats' only two wins this season have come against sides currently in the top six (Newcastle and Manchester City).
- This is Mark Hughes' longest unbeaten run as a Barclays Premier League manager (four games – W2 D2) since March 2011, when he was in charge at Fulham.
3pm Norwich City v Fulham | #NORFUL | Matchday Live >>
- Norwich City have only lost three of 17 Barclays Premier League home matches in 2013 (W6 D8).
- Fulham's joint-biggest win in Barclays Premier League history was 6-0 against Norwich in May 2005.
- Fulham have won nine and lost none of their last 12 matches in all competitions against Norwich.
- Dimitar Berbatov has five goals and five assists in six Barclays Premier League appearances on 26 December.
- Berbatov is one of only five players in Barclays Premier League history to score a Boxing Day hat-trick in the Barclays Premier League (Man Utd v Wigan in 2011).
- Norwich have never scored a goal in a Barclays Premier League fixture on 26 December (four matches).
- Gary Hooper has scored in three successive Barclays Premier League matches at Carrow Road.
- This is the first time since they returned to the top-flight in 2001 that Fulham have been in the relegation zone at Christmas.
3pm Tottenham Hotspur v West Bromwich Albion | #TOTWBA | Matchday Live >>
- Jermain Defoe has scored in three of his last five Barclays Premier League appearances against West Bromwich Albion.
- The Baggies have won only one of their last 10 Barclays Premier League away matches (D4 L5).
- The last time Tottenham Hotspur lost on 26 December was in 2003 when David Pleat was temporary head coach after the exit of Glenn Hoddle.
- Defoe has scored six goals in 10 games on 26 December; only four players in Premier League history have scored more on this date (Robbie Fowler, Robbie Keane, Thierry Henry and Alan Shearer).
- Emmanuel Adebayor has now scored four goals in his last five Barclays Premier League appearances and three in two matches under head coach Tim Sherwood.
- Matej Vydra has scored with his only shot in the Barclays Premier League. The Czech striker netted with 35% of his shots (22/63) in the Championship with Watford in 2012-13 – well above the league average of 14.5%.
- No Spurs player has as many goals (four) or assists (three) as Roberto Soldado in the Barclays Premier League this season.
3pm West Ham United v Arsenal | #WHUARS | Matchday Live >>
- West Ham United have lost eight and won none of their last 10 Barclays Premier League matches against Arsenal.
- Theo Walcott has scored in his last three Barclays Premier League appearances against West Ham.
- Olivier Giroud has scored three goals in his two appearances against the Hammers and Santi Cazorla has two in two.
- After going seven matches without a victory in the Barclays Premier League away at a Sam Allardyce team (D3 L4), Arsene Wenger has enjoyed two victories in a row.
- This is Arsenal's 100th London derby away from home in the Barclays Premier League and the Gunners have won 44 out of 99; more victories on the road than any other team in capital clashes.
- West Ham have won their last three Barclays Premier League matches played on 26 December, scoring nine goals in the process.
- Arsene Wenger's only defeat in a Barclays Premier League match on 26 December came in 1999 (3-2 to Coventry City).
- The Gunners are the only side to score 6+ goals on 26 December, when they beat Leicester 6-1 in 2000.
- Carlton Cole has scored three times in three previous games on 26 December.
5.30pm Manchester City v Liverpool | #MCILIV | Matchday Live >>
- The last top-flight team to score as many goals as Manchester City (35) in their opening eight home games were Spurs in 1962-63.
- Liverpool have only won one of their last five Barclays Premier League away matches (D2 L2).
- Man City have failed to score in their last two Barclays Premier League fixtures played on 26 December (0-0 with WBA in 2011 and 0-1 at Sunderland last year).
- Liverpool last won on 26 December back in 2009 when Rafael Benitez was manager (2-0 v Wolverhampton Wanderers)
- Luis Suarez has 10 goals in December 2013 – no other player in the history of the Barclays Premier League has scored more than eight in a single month within a season.
- Suarez has 29 goals in 26 Barclays Premier League appearances in 2013. Should he score one more, it'll be only the seventh time that a player has scored 30+ goals in a calendar year in the Barclays Premier League.
- Yaya Toure has scored four direct free-kick goals in his Barclays Premier League career; with all of them coming this season.
- Man City are the only team in the Barclays Premier League this season yet to drop a point at home (P8 W8 D0 L0). They have also scored in each of their last 58 Barclays Premier League home matches.