Rooney has scored seven goals in his last six Premier League matches against West Ham
Ahead of this weekend's action there are some intriguing statistics to whet the appetite, including why Wayne Rooney will be rubbbing his hands at the prospect of facing West Ham United, why Jose Mourinho is Arsene Wenger's nemesis and why Liverpool's goal tally has given fans cause to dream of landing that long-awaited Barclays Premier League title.
Saturday 21 December
12.45pm Liverpool v Cardiff | #LIVCAR | Matchday Live >>
- The last meeting between these two sides was the Carling Cup final of 2012 when Liverpool won on penalties after a 2-2 draw at Wembley.
- These two teams have not met in the league since 19 December 1959 when Cardiff won 4-0 at Anfield.
- Luis Suarez has scored 27 goals in 25 Barclays Premier League matches in 2013.
- In 2012 the top scorer was Robin van Persie who scored 27 in 39 matches.
- Suarez's total of 17 goals this season is more than 10 of the 20 Barclays Premier League clubs have managed this season.
- Eighteen of Luis Suarez's 27 Barclays Premier League goals in 2013 have come at Anfield.
- Suarez has scored both of the hat-tricks seen in the Barclays Premier League this season – by this stage last season four players had scored trebles (including Suarez).
- Liverpool have scored 39 goals in 16 Barclays Premier League matches this season; the last time they had as many was in the title-winning 1987-88 season.
3pm Crystal Palace v Newcastle United | #CRYNEW | Matchday Live >>
- Newcastle have won their last four Barclays Premier League trips to Selhurst Park to play Palace.
- The Eagles have lost four of the last five matches against Newcastle in all competitions all by a 2-0 scoreline (W0 D1 L4).
- Newcastle's total of 27 points from 16 games is the same as they managed in 2011-12 when they eventually finished fifth.
- 20 of the Magpies' 21 Barclays Premier League goals this season have been scored by Frenchmen.
- Despite conceding only two goals more than Newcastle (22), Crystal Palace (24) have 14 fewer points.
- Marouane Chamakh has scored in three successive Barclays Premier League fixtures for the first time in his career.
- Palace have been shown fewer yellow cards than any other Barclays Premier League side this season (16).
3pm Fulham v Manchester City | #CFULMCI | Matchday Live >>
- Fulham have managed just one clean sheet in their 22 Barclays Premier League matches against Manchester City and none in the last 18 meetings.
- Man City have won six and lost none of the last nine matches with Fulham in all competitions.
- The Whites have won just one of their 11 Barclays Premier League home matches against City (W1 D5 L5).
- Darren Bent has scored seven Barclays Premier League goals against City; only against Bolton Wanderers (11) has he been more prolific in the competition.
- Fulham have lost seven of their last eight Premier League fixtures.
- If only away matches counted this season than City would only be 11th in the Barclays Premier League with eight points.
- Man City have averaged 7.6 shots on target per game at home this season but only 5.3 in away games.
- 53% of Fulham's Barclays Premier League goals this season have come from set-pieces, a higher proportion than any other side.
3pm Manchester United v West Ham United | #MUNWHU | Matchday Live >>
- Manchester United have lost none of the last nine Barclays Premier League fixtures against West Ham United, winning eight in a row before drawing 2-2 at the Boleyn Ground last season.
- The Hammers have failed to score in six of their last eight Barclays Premier League matches against Man United.
- Wayne Rooney has scored seven goals in his last six Barclays Premier League appearances against West Ham.
- West Ham have drawn five matches 0-0 this season, the most in the Barclays Premier League.
- The Red Devils have not lost three successive top-flight fixtures since Dec 1978 - Feb 1979.
- The Hammers have won just one of their eight Barclays Premier League away fixtures this season (D3 L4), failing to score five times.
- The last time Man Utd had fewer points as this (25) after 16 Barclays Premier League fixtures was 2001-02 (24).
- David Moyes' charges have scored only eight goals in eight Barclays Premier League home matches this season, only four clubs have managed fewer.
3pm Stoke City v Aston Villa | #STKAVL | Matchday Live >>
- Stoke City have lost just one of their last seven Barclays Premier League matches (W2 D4 L1).
- Six of the 10 Barclays Premier League meetings between Stoke and Aston Villa have ended as draws (two Stoke wins, two for Villa).
- Stoke have lost only one home game in the Barclays Premier League this season (W3 D4).
- Only four teams (Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur, Man United and Everton) have won more away points than Villa (12) this term.
- In the week that Rory Delap retired from football, the Potters remain the only team to score from a long throw move this season.
- Both Aston Villa and Stoke have failed to score in three of their last four Premier League games.
- Aston Villa have conceded more handballs than any other Premier League team this season (15).
3pm Sunderland v Norwich City | #SUNNOR | Matchday Live >>
- Sunderland's Craig Gardner scored in both Barclays Premier League meetings with Norwich City last season.
- None of the last 11 Barclays Premier League meetings between Norwich and Sunderland have ended in an away win (nine home wins and two draws).
- After failing to score in his first five Barclays Premier League appearances, Gary Hooper has now scored in four of his last six (four goals in total) matches for Norwich.
- Chris Hughton's charges have conceded more goals away from home than any other team in the Barclays Premier League this season (21).
- Sunderland, meanwhile, have conceded more home goals than any other Barclays Premier League side (16).
- Norwich are the only team yet to pick up a yellow card for dissent in the Barclays Premier League this season.
- The Black Cats' only two wins this season have come against sides currently in the top six (Newcastle and Manchester City).
- Sunderland are going to be bottom of the Premier League table at Christmas (four points adrift currently).
- Only one team in Barclays Premier League history (West Bromwich Albion in 2004-05) have been bottom on Christmas Day and avoided relegation.
3pm West Bromwich Albion v Hull City | #WBAHUL | Matchday Live >>
- West Bromwich Albion have had a league-high five shots cleared off the line this season in the Barclays Premier League
- Hull City have won their last two league trips to The Hawthorns to play West Brom.
- Sixteen of the 19 league goals Hull have conceded this season have come in away matches.
- West Brom have lost each of their last four Barclays Premier League matches. They have not lost five in a row since January 2011.
- In their current spell in the Barclays Premier League, Albion have changed their head coach three times
- West Brom have now gone three hours without a Barclays Premier League goal.
- Hull have scored only once in their last 273 minutes of Barclays Premier League action.
- The Baggies have played fewer through balls than any other side in the Barclays Premier League this season (three).
- Hull have made fewer touches in the opposition penalty area than any other Barclays Premier League side this season (221).
Sunday 22 December
1.30pm Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur | #SOUTOT | Matchday Live >>
- Jay Rodriguez has scored Southampton's first goal in three of their last four Barclays Premier League matches.
- Tottenham Hotspur have won three of the last four Premier League meetings with Saints, including both matches last season.
- Spurs have struck more shots on target away from home than any other Barclays Premier League team this season (47).
- Only Arsenal have picked up as many away points as Tottenham Hotspur in the 2013-14 Barclays Premier League (16).
- Saints have collected only two points from their last five Barclays Premier League fixtures (L3 D2).
- Spurs conceded only five goals in their opening 10 Barclays Premier League fixtures this season but have leaked 16 in the subsequent six.
- Southampton conceded only five goals in their opening 11 Barclays Premier League fixtures this season but have conceded 10 in the subsequent five.
- Rodriguez (three) and Pablo Osvaldo (two) have scored all of Southampton's Barclays Premier League goals in December.
- No striker has scored for the north Londoners in the Barclays Premier League since 27 October.
4pm Swansea City v Everton | #SWAEVE | Matchday Live >>
- The Swans have failed to score in all four Barclays Premier League meetings against Everton, losing three and drawing one.
- Everton manager Roberto Martinez started his managerial career in charge of Swansea City winning 50% of his 126 games in charge.
- Everton have lost fewer matches (1) than any other Barclays Premier League side this season.
- Only Southampton have conceded as few goals as Everton in the Barclays Premier League this season (15).
- The Toffees defenders have supplied seven goals in the Barclays Premier League this season, more than at any other club.
- Swansea have taken only 38 points from 34 Premier League matches in 2013.
- Only West Ham have kept as many clean sheets as Everton (8) this season in the Barclays Premier League.
Monday 23 December
8pm Arsenal v Chelsea | #ARSCHE | Matchday live >>
- Arsenal won nine and lost none of their first 13 Barclays Premier League home matches against Chelsea but have won just two and lost four of the last eight.
- Chelsea have won eight and lost just two of the last 11 meetings with Arsenal in all competitions.
- Jose Mourinho has never lost against Arsene Wenger as an opposition manager (W5 D4 L0).
- Juan Mata has scored in each of his four starts against Arsenal in all competitions for Chelsea.
- The Blues have taken 11 points away from the Emirates Stadium, the joint-best haul of any team in the Barclays Premier League since the Gunners moved from Highbury (along with Aston Villa).
- Theo Walcott scored his first ever Arsenal goal against Chelsea in the 2007 Carling Cup final and has since netted in three Premier League games against the Blues.
- Chelsea have had 11 different managers since Arsene Wenger was appointed and 12 in total including Mourinho's second spell. The Portuguese will be the fifth different manager Wenger has faced in the last six Chelsea v Arsenal fixtures.
- Arsenal have not gone three Barclays Premier League fixtures without a win since January 2013; the third of those games was against Chelsea.
- The Gunners have conceded as many goals in their last two Barclays Premier League games (7) as they had in their previous 13.
- Chelsea have scored at least twice in each of their last six Barclays Premier League matches (16 goals in total).