Giroud's goal against Fulham was only his second in the Premier League away from home
After Matchweek 2 of the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season, full of action, intrigue and talking points, it is time for some cold, hard analysis of the statistics behind the key numbers from the weekend.
For key stats from Matchweek 2 scroll down. For futher statistics, such as possession and shots, check out premierleague.com's Matchday Live service, which also provides photos from all the grounds, match reports, post-match reaction and manager press conferences. To see more, click on the Matchday Live links below.
Saturday 24 August
Fulham 1-3 Arsenal | #FULARS | Matchday Live >>
- Fulham have lost 17 times against Arsenal in the Premier League, only against Manchester United have they lost as often.
- This was Arsenal’s 100th London derby win in the Barclays Premier League.
- Scott Parker became the first player in Premier League history to play for five London teams in the competition.
- Darren Bent became the eighth player to score for six different Premier League clubs (after Nick Barmby, Darren Bent, Marcus Bent, Craig Bellamy, Andy Cole, Peter Crouch, Les Ferdinand and Robbie Keane).
- Olivier Giroud scored his 13th Premier League goal but only his second away from home (all 13 have come in London).
Everton 0-0 West Bromwich Albion | #EVEWBA | Matchday Live >>
- West Brom have failed to score a goal in five of their last seven Barclays Premier League games away from home.
- This was only the second draw in the 15 Barclays Premier League meetings between these sides.
- Everton have averaged over 60% possession in both of their games under Roberto Martinez.
- The Baggies have won only one of their last 11 Barclays Premier League games (W1 D4 L6).
- Everton have drawn their opening two league games for the first time since August 1970.
Hull City 1-0 Norwich City | #HULNOR | Matchday Live >>
- Norwich City have won just five points (W1 D2 L8) from their last 11 away games in the Barclays Premier League.
- Chris Hughton’s side have kept a clean sheet in just two of their last 53 Barclays Premier League away trips.
- Hull were the most fouled team in the Barclays Premier League today but the only team to receive a red card.
- After making the fewest passes last weekend, Norwich made the most (585) on Saturday.
- The Canaries also made the lowest proportion of long passes today (8.6%)
Newcastle United 0-0 West Ham United | #NEWWHU | Matchday Live >>
- West Ham have won just one of their last 15 away games in the Barclays Premier League (W1 D4 L10).
- The Hammers were the only side that managed to keep a clean sheet both home and away against Newcastle United in the Barclays Premier League last season.
- West Ham have conceded only one shot on target in two games this season, but only had one shot on target in this match.
- Newcastle had 14 shots off target without any on target today, something no other Barclays Premier League team have done in the past 8 seasons.
Southampton 1-1 Sunderland | #SOUSUN | Matchday Live >>
- Sunderland only scored two headed goals in the Barclays Premier League last season; their opener in this game was their first in 2013-14.
- Rickie Lambert had more shots on target than any other player on Saturday (four). Three were with his head.
- Jose Fonte made more headed clearances than any other Barclays Premier League player today.
- Jose Fonte's last Barclays Premier League goal before today was the 90th-minute equaliser v Fulham last October (he scored two that day).
Stoke City 1-2 Crystal Palace | #STKCRY | Matchday Live >>
- Crystal Palace have won just two of their 20 Barclays Premier League games in the month of August (W2 D7 L11).
- Stoke’s win ended a run of 14 Barclays Premier League matches without a win for Mark Hughes.
- Ryan Shawcross has scored in all six of the Barclays Premier League seasons he has featured in.
- Stoke’s pass completion in this game was 78%; last season they averaged only 70%.
Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool | #AVLLIV | Matchday Live >>
- Aston Villa have conceded a goal in each of their last 12 Barclays Premier League matches at Villa Park.
- Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge has scored eight goals in his last seven Barclays Premier League appearances.
- Aston Villa have won just one of their last 16 Premier League home games against Liverpool (D5 L10).
- Overall, only Manchester United (13) have won more Premier League games against Aston Villa at Villa Park than Liverpool (11).
- Liverpool have kept clean sheets in their opening two Premier League games for the first time since August 2002.
- Only Manchester City (12) have kept more clean sheets than Liverpool in the Barclays Premier League this calendar year (11).
Sunday 25 August
Cardiff City 3-2 Manchester City | #CARMCI | Matchday Live >>
- Manchester City won just one of their four Barclays Premier League away games at newly promoted sides since the start of last season.
- City only lost one game from a leading position in 2012-13 (Tottenham away)
- City conceded twice from corners in this game, 33% of their total last season.
- Twenty of Edin Dzeko’s 31 Barclays Premier League goals have come away from home.
- This is the first time City have lost a league game in a season before December since 2010.
- Cardiff won the game despite having only 30% of the possession.
Tottenham Hotspur 1-0 Swansea City | #TOTSWA | Matchday Live >>
- Spurs have won 10 and lost just one of their last 14 Barclays Premier League home games.
- Spurs are only the third team in Barclays Premier League history to open a season with two 1-0 wins.
- Spurs scored penalties in consecutive Barclays Premier League games for the first time since November 2006.
- Spurs won penalties in consecutive Barclays Premier League games for the first time since November 2011.
- Swansea’s two games are both in the top six for matches with the most passes this season.
- Spurs have had 39 shots this season but have not scored from open play.
Monday 26 August
Manchester United 0-0 Chelsea | #MUNCHE | Matchday Live >>
- Manchester United drew a Barclays Premier League game at home for the first time in 77 games (previous one was v Arsenal at home in May 2009).
- This was the first 0-0 between United and Chelsea since May 2007. This was the 23rd meeting between the sides since then.
- United have won only four of the last 10 games when they’ve gone in 0-0 at half-time.
- Chelsea only won one corner in this game.
- Wayne Rooney had all three of Manchester United’s shots on target versus Chelsea.