Eleven of Joe Cole's 13 Barclays Premier League goals for West Ham have come at home
After an exciting opening to the 2013/14 Barclays Premier League season, full of action, goals, packed stadiums and talking points, it is time for some cold, hard analysis of the statistics behind the key numbers from the weekend.
For key stats from Matchweek 1 scroll down. For futher statistics, such as possession and shots, check out premierleague.com's Matchday Live service, which also provides photos from all the grounds, match reports, post-match reaction and manager press conferences. To see more, click on the Matchday Live links below.
Saturday 17 August
Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City | #LIVSTK | Matchday Live >>
- Jonathan Walters started his 92nd consecutive Barclays Premier League appearance for Stoke City, the current record for outfield players.
- Daniel Sturridge has scored seven goals in his last six Premier League appearances.
- Asmir Begovic made 10 saves in this game, equalling the joint-most he has ever made in a single Barclays Premier League match (v West Brom on 28/02/11).
- Stoke have now scored only one goal in their last 13 league trips to Anfield combined, and that was in a 1-5 defeat.
Arsenal 1-3 Aston Villa | #ARSAVL | Matchday Live >>
- Eleven of Olivier Giroud's 12 Barclays Premier League goals so far have come at the Emirates Stadium.
- Aston Villa have now conceded in 23 consecutive Barclays Premier League matches.
- Arsenal conceded two penalties in the same Barclays Premier League match for the first time since 5 February 2011 v Newcastle United.
- Villa have now won three times at the Emirates in the Barclays Premier League, a joint-high with Chelsea amongst away sides.
Norwich City 2-2 Everton | #NOREVE | Matchday Live >>
- Ross Barkley scored his first ever goal for Everton.
- Seamus Coleman has made six assists for the Blues since the start of last season, the most of all defenders.
- Norwich have lost only one of their seven Barclays Premier League home matches versus Everton.
- The Canaries have not won their opening Barclays Premier League match in any of the last 11 seasons (D6 L5) and have not won their opening game in the top flight since the first Barclays Premier League season (1992/93), when they won 4-2 at Arsenal.
Sunderland 0-1 Fulham | #SUNFUL | Matchday Live >>
- Damien Duff has collected a Barclays Premier League assist in all but one of the last 13 campaigns (he played 16 games in 2007/08 without making one).
- Fulham are unbeaten in their last five Barclays Premier League away trips to Sunderland (W2 D3).
- Sunderland have won only one of their last nine Barclays Premier League home games.
- The west Londoners have kept a clean sheet in each of their last five Premier League games on the opening day of the season.
West Bromwich Albion 0-1 Southampton | #WBASOU | Matchday Live >>
- Rickie Lambert has scored 29 out of 29 league penalties he has taken for Southampton.
- West Brom have only won two of their last 15 opening league matches (D5 L9).
- Southampton have conceded only two goals in total in their last six Barclays Premier League away matches.
- The Baggies have won just one of their last 10 league matches, drawing three and losing six.
West Ham United 2-0 Cardiff City | #WHUCAR | Matchday Live >>
- After creating the most chances without an assist in the Barclays Premier League last term (46), Matt Jarvis assisted Joe Cole's goal with his first chance created this season.
- Eleven of Joe Cole's 13 Barclays Premier League goals for West Ham have come at Upton Park.
- The Hammers have only drawn one of their last 19 opening Barclays Premier League matches (W10 L8).
- Sam Allardyce's side were the only team not to win consecutive Barclays Premier League matches last season.
Swansea City 1-4 Manchester United | #SWAMUN | Matchday Live >>
- Since January 2011, Robin van Persie has scored 76 Barclays Premier League goals, 27 more than any other player (Rooney, 49).
- Wilfried Bony scored with his first shot on target in the Barclays Premier League.
- The Swans have lost seven of their last eight season opening Barclays Premier League matches (W1).
- Wayne Rooney provided two assists as a substitute. This only happened in the Barclays Premier League twice in the whole of 2012-13 (Oscar & Akpan).
Sunday 18 August
Crystal Palace 0-1 Tottenham Hotspur | #CRYTOT | Matchday Live >>
- Tottenham Hotspur scored with the first penalty they have been awarded in the Barclays Premier League since May 2012.
- By appearing against Spurs on Sunday, Kevin Phillips became just the third outfield player (after Teddy Sheringham and Gordon Strachan) over the age of 40 to play in the Barclays Premier League.
- Spurs have extended their unbeaten run in league matches to nine (6W 3D).
- This was only Palace's second defeat in their last seven Barclays Premier League matches against Spurs.
Chelsea 2-0 Hull City | #CHEHULL | Matchday Live >>
- Frank Lampard has missed two of his last three penalties in competitive games after scoring the previous 10 in a row.
- Hull have not won any of their last 20 competitive matches away at Chelsea, losing 15 (D5).
- Jose Mourinho has extended his unbeaten run in the Barclays Premier League at Stamford Bridge to 61 matches.
- Ahmed Elmohamady made 110 ball touches at Stamford Bridge, more than any Hull or Chelsea player and a figure only two players in the top tier could better this weekend.
Monday 19 August
Man City 4-0 Newcastle United | #MCINEW | Matchday Live >>
- Despite not scoring, Edin Dzeko’s total of eight shots is more than he managed in any Premier League game last season.
- Yaya Toure has now netted four goals in his last four Premier League games against Newcastle.
- Man City have now scored in each of their last 51 Premier League home games, the longest current run in the division.
- David Silva's 15th Premier League goal was the first he has scored in the English top-flight with his head.