Monday 13 May 2013
Manchester City have announced that manager Roberto Mancini “has been relieved of his duties”.
A statement on the City website said it had been “a difficult decision for the owner, Chairman and Board to make” but that the club “failed to achieve any of its stated targets this year, with the exception of qualification for next season’s UEFA Champions League”.
"He has done as he promised and delivered silverware and success"
Khaldoon Al Mubarak
City are guaranteed second place in the Barclays Premier League but on Saturday lost in the FA Cup Final to Wigan Athletic.
“This, combined with an identified need to develop a holistic approach to all aspects of football at the Club, has meant that the decision has been taken to find a new manager for the 2013/14 season and beyond,” the statement said.
City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: “Roberto’s record speaks for itself and he has the respect and gratitude of Sheikh Mansour, myself and the Board for all of his hard work and commitment over the last three and a half years.
"He has clearly also secured the love and respect of our fans. He has done as he promised and delivered silverware and success, breaking the Club’s 35-year trophy drought and securing the title in 2012. I would like to personally and publicly thank him for his dedication to the progress that he has overseen and for his support and continued friendship."
The club said that assistant manager Brian Kidd would take interim responsibility for the remaining two Barclays Premier League matches of the season, starting with the trip to Reading on Tuesday evening, as well as the post-season tour to the United States, where City will play Chelsea in St Louis and New York this month.
Since becoming City manager in December 2009, Mancini, 48, won the FA Cup the next campaign before leading them to their first Barclays Premier League title last season.
For Mancini's Barclays Premier League career record click here