Tuesday 17 July 2012

Guzan signs new deal at Villa

Goalkeeper agrees contract which commits him to club until 2014/15 season

Brad Guzan moved to Aston Villa from Major League Soccer in 2008

Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan has agreed a new three-year deal with the club.

The contract will keep the 27-year-old USA international at the club until the end of the 2014/15 season.

New Villa boss Paul Lambert told the club's website that he expected Guzan to challenge first-choice keeper Shay Given.

"Brad played very well the time he was in and maybe he found himself a bit unlucky to be back out"
- Paul Lambert

"I've watched Brad and some of his games when he was in the team last year and he was excellent," said Lambert.

"I know he's always had that stigma of being the number two behind some really good goalkeepers here.

"But when you come back at the start of the season nobody knows what's going to happen and it depends on whoever does well.

"Brad played very well the time he was in and maybe he found himself a bit unlucky to be back out.

"The club needs two or three good goalkeepers, so when Shay comes back from the Euros it will be a big bonus and we'll see what happens."

Guzan, who joined Villa in 2008 from Major League Soccer side Chivas USA, made his Premier League debut as a substitute against Liverpool at Anfield in February 2009.

He played in eight consecutive games last term following an injury to Given.

Share this page

Key Points

  • Aston Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan signs new three-year deal at Villa Park
  • USA international commits to Villa Park until 2014/15 season
  • Boss Paul Lambert tips Guzan to challenge for first-team place in 2012/13