Cookies on Premierleague.com

The Premier League website employs cookies to improve your user experience. We have updated our cookie policy to reflect changes in the law on cookies and tracking technologies used on websites. If you continue on this website, you will be providing your consent to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Thursday 23 August 2012

Mancini relief as Aguero given injury fillip

Man City manager pleased as Sergio Aguero injury not as bad as first feared

Serguio Aguero was injured in this challenge by Southampton's Nathaniel Clyne

Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero is expected back in action in less than a month following his knee injury suffered against Southampton on Sunday.

There had been fears the Argentinian had suffered major ligament damage when he fell awkwardly early in the 3-2 season-opening win. But a scan has found no major damage, and City are now optimistic the 24-year-old will be back in contention for the trip to Stoke on September 15.

"We are hoping Sergio will be back after the international break"
Roberto Mancini

"I don't think Sergio will be out for long and we are hoping he will be back after the international break, which is obviously fantastic news for him and for us," manager Roberto Mancini told the club's offical website.

"We were very worried a couple of days ago because we feared he could be out for six months or maybe even more which would have been very bad news."

Aguero, who scored 23 Barclays Premier League goals for City last season including the dramatic injury-time winner against QPR to snatch the title away from rivals Manchester United on the closing day, was carried off on a stretcher 14 minutes into Sunday's match after falling under a challenge from Nathaniel Clyne.

Later that night, Aguero sought to ease fears by saying the injury was not as bad as it had appeared, although no further announcement had been made by the club regarding his condition.

"It looked like a very strange injury at the time," Mancini added. "And because it was his knee we were obviously very concerned, so this news is a relief for everybody."

"Gareth Barry will also be ready after the international break"
Roberto Mancini

There was further good news for City on the injury front, with both Gareth Barry and Micah Richards also ahead of schedule.

Barry suffered an abdominal injury that ruled him out of UEFA Euro 2012, but is now back in training and working to catch up after missing the pre-season, while Richards is making progress after suffering an ankle injury while playing for Team GB at the Olympics.

"Gareth will also be ready after the international break," Mancini said. "Micah's injury is more serious and he could be out a little longer, but having said that, with rest and the right treatment, we are hopeful he could be ready in about one month, which again would be great news."

Share this page

Key Points

  • Sergio Aguero injury not as bad as first feared
  • Argentinian expected back in under a month
  • Gareth Barry also expected back after international break