Cookies on

The Premier League website employs cookies to improve your user experience. We have updated our cookie policy to reflect changes in the law on cookies and tracking technologies used on websites. If you continue on this website, you will be providing your consent to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Wednesday 29 August 2012

Capital One Cup: Ten Premier League sides reach third round

Strong showing by top-flight clubs in Capital One Cup; Fulham and Stoke tumble out

Jose Bosingwa (third from left) scored on his debut as Queens Park Rangers beat Walsall

Ten of the 12 Barclays Premier League clubs in action last night made it through to the third round of the Capital One Cup.

Sunderland gave debuts to new signings Steven Fletcher and Adam Johnson and they helped Martin O’Neill’s side ease past Morecambe 2-0 at the Stadium of Light. James McClean scored twice in each half to secure the win.

Aston Villa claimed their first victory of the season, beating Tranmere Rovers 3-0. Fabian Delph opened the scoring at Villa Park after 38 minutes, before second-half efforts by Chris Herd and Darren Bent added gloss to the scoreline.

West Bromwich Albion progressed in a less straightforward fashion, being pushed all the way by Yeovil Town before emerging 4-2 victors at Huish Park. Reuben Reid fired the home side ahead on 15 minutes but goals by Chris Brunt and Shane Long gave West Brom a half-time lead.

Reid's second of the night after 48 minutes put Yeovil back on level terms but Yassine El Ghanassy's 73rd-minute debut goal and a late second for Long sent Steve Clarke's side through.

A goal from Danny Graham and a second-half brace by Luke Moore gave Swansea City a 3-1 win at home to Barnsley, who replied through Bobby Hassell.

Southampton were also comfortable winners, with goals from Tadanari Lee, Billy Sharp, Jason Puncheon and Ben Reeves giving the south coast club a 4-1 win away to Stevenage Borough, who replied through Michael Thalassitis.

Wigan Athletic were another side to win by that score at a Championship club, cruising past Nottingham Forest at the City Ground. The victory, secured by goals from Mauro Boselli, Maynor Figueroa, Jordi Gomez and Callum McManaman, was soured in the second half when Antolin Alcaraz was sent off for a second bookable offence. Simon Cox replied for Forest.

Queens Park Rangers claimed their first win of the season with a convincing 3-0 victory at home to Walsall. Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bobby Zamora and new signing Jose Bosingwa were on target for Mark Hughes's team.

Things were tighter for QPR's opponents the previous weekend, Norwich City, who also won for the first time this campaign. Simon Lappin and Wes Hoolahan struck to beat Scunthorpe United 2-1 at Carrow Road.

West Ham United striker Modibo Maiga scored his first goal for the club in the 2-0 victory over Crewe Alexandra. Nicky Maynard had netted the first for the home side.

Reading suffered a scare before emerging 3-2 winners at home to Peterborough United. Paul Taylor's 12th-minute effort for Peterborough was the first of four goals in nine minutes, with Pavel Pogrebnyak and Lee Tomlin exchanging strikes before Chris Gunter levelled for the Royals. Brian McDermott's side needed a Nathaniel Knight-Percival own goal in the 38th minute to see them through to the next round.

Sheffield Wednesday served up an upset as they knocked out Fulham 1-0 at Hillsborough. Gary Madine scored the only goal of the match from the penalty spot after 50 minutes.

Stoke City were also giant-killing victims, losing 4-3 to Paolo Di Canio's Swindon Town in a thriller at the Britannia Stadium. James Collins gave Swindon a two-goal lead at the break but Stoke took the tie to extra time through strikes from Kenwyne Jones and Jonathan Walters.

Aden Flint restored Swindon's lead in the first period of extra time before Peter Crouch equalised again for Stoke. Just when penalties seemed inevitable Collins claimed his hat-trick and victory for Swindon.

Everton face Leyton Orient at home on Wednesday evening while the seven Barclays Premier League clubs involved in Europe enter the competition in the third round.

Capital One Cup second-round results

Aston Villa 3-0 Tranmere Rovers
Burnley 1-1 Plymouth Argyle 1 (aet, Burnley win 3-2 on penalties)
Carlisle United 2-1 Ipswich Town (aet)
Coventry City 3-2 Birmingham City (aet)
Crawley Town 2-1 Bolton Wanderers
Doncaster Rovers 3-2 Hull City
Gillingham 0-2 Middlesbrough
Leeds United 3-0 Oxford United
Leicester City 2-4 Burton Albion
MK Dons 2-1 Blackburn Rovers
Norwich City 2-1 Scunthorpe United
Nottingham Forest 1-4 Wigan Athletic
Preston North End 4-1 Crystal Palace
Queens Park Rangers 3-0 Walsall
Reading 3-2 Peterborough United
Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Fulham
Stevenage 1-4 Southampton
Stoke City
3-4 Swindon Town
Sunderland 2-0 Morecambe
Swansea City 3-1 Barnsley
Watford 1-2 Bradford City
West Ham United 2-0 Crewe Alexandra
Yeovil Town 2-4 West Bromwich Albion

v Leyton Orient (7.45pm)

Northampton Town v Wolverhampton Wanderers (7.45pm)

Share this page

Key Points

  • Four-goal wins for Wigan, West Brom and Southampton
  • New signings help QPR, Sunderland and West Ham seal victories
  • Fulham and Stoke knocked out by Sheffield Wednesday and Swindon respectively