Cookies on Premierleague.com

The Premier League website employs cookies to improve your user experience. We have updated our cookie policy to reflect changes in the law on cookies and tracking technologies used on websites. If you continue on this website, you will be providing your consent to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Tuesday 06 March 2012

Moses backs Martinez's selection call

Wigan winger says boss was right not to start with him in match against Swansea

Victor Moses played in the second half of the defeat against Swansea

Wigan Athletic's Victor Moses has defended the decision of manager Roberto Martinez not to start him in the Latics' Barclays Premier League match against Swansea on Saturday.

The 21-year-old winger came on as a half-time substitute in the 2-0 defeat at the DW Stadium against Swansea.

That decision was questioned by chairman Dave Whelan, although he also offered public backing for Martinez, saying he had done a great job at the club.

"Travelling so far for a game in midweek really does take it out of you"
- Victor Moses

Moses, who returned to Wigan after travelling to Rwanda to make his debut for Nigeria, said Martinez's decision was correct.

"Obviously it's never nice when you're not playing, but it's the manager's decision and I was feeling tired after being away with Nigeria," he said.

"I'd done a lot of travelling in a short space of time and it's not an ideal way to prepare for a football match.

"The fans probably don't realise that travelling so far for a game in midweek really does take it out of you, out of your legs especially.

"A couple of the other lads were the same - only getting back on Friday evening - and when you're going out there with tired legs, that's when you're risking getting injuries - which obviously the gaffer is trying to prevent."

Relegation battle

With 11 Barclays Premier League matches left this season, Moses said he was hopeful the club - which is currently bottom of the table - could escape relegation.

"The gaffer knows what he's doing and we'll be aiming to bounce back at Norwich," he said.

"We weren't on our game last weekend but it's happened now and it's up to us to bounce back and I'm sure we will."

Share this page

Key Points

  • Moses on bench for first half of Saturday's defeat against Swansea City
  • Winger made international debut for Nigeria during previous week
  • Moses backs Martinez and tips club to avoid relegation