Cookies on Premierleague.com

The Premier League website employs cookies to improve your user experience. We have updated our cookie policy to reflect changes in the law on cookies and tracking technologies used on websites. If you continue on this website, you will be providing your consent to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Tuesday 20 March 2012

Coyle: Muamba recovery continuing

Boss says midfielder is at start of a 'long journey' after comfortable night in hospital

Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba continues to show signs of recovery in hospital

Bolton Wanderers boss Owen Coyle says midfielder Fabrice Muamba is at the start of a "long journey" as he continues his recovery after a cardiac arrest.

Muamba spent a "comfortable night" at the London Chest Hospital after his collapse on the pitch during Bolton's FA Cup quarter-final tie at Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

Bolton said the 23-year-old remained in intensive care at the Heart Attack Centre and Trotters' boss Coyle added: "The consultants have stressed to us that it is still incredibly early in the process.

"Fabrice is a fighter and his family have shown great strength in this testing time"
- Owen Coyle

"They continue to monitor Fabrice's condition.

"His heart is beating without the help of medication but we remain very much at the beginning of a long-term journey for Fabrice and his family.

"He has been visited today by a number of our players. The skipper came down, along with Nigel Reo-Coker, Mark Davies and Darren Pratley, and we are expecting more of the lads throughout the day.

"I have been in to see Fabrice and we had a brief exchange of words. That will remain private.

"Fabrice is a fighter and his family have shown great strength in this testing time. They have been greatly comforted by the huge amount of support they have received from around the world.

"I'd like to thank all our Wanderers fans who have been in touch, and a special mention must go to our supporters on Saturday who were outstanding, as indeed were Tottenham's."

"Fabrice's family has asked us to thank everyone again for their thoughts and prayers"
- Bolton statement

On Monday there were reports that Muamba was moving his arms and legs and responding appropriately to questions.

Earlier on Tuesday, Bolton released a statement on the club's official website which read: "Fabrice Muamba has had a comfortable night in the intensive care unit at The London Chest Hospital, where the medical team is continuing to monitor his progress.

"Fabrice's family has asked us to thank everyone again for their thoughts and prayers and for the continued messages of support, from which they draw great strength.

"To ensure the smooth running of the hospital for all patients - as well as Fabrice's need to concentrate on his recovery - they would request that he receive no more visitors for the moment, outside of immediate family and members of Bolton Wanderers Football Club.

"They would also like to thank the media for continuing to respect their privacy."

The match at Tottenham was abandoned by referee Howard Webb after 41 minutes following Muamba's collapse, and Bolton's Premier League match on Tuesday at Aston Villa was postponed.

Bolton are offering supporters a chance for "quiet reflection and prayer in support of Fabrice Muamba " at the Reebok Stadium on Tuesday, taking place between 6.30pm and 9pm in the Chairman's Suite.

Share this page

Key Points

  • Manager Owen Coyle says Fabrice Muamba is at the start of a 'long journey'
  • Midfielder spent a comfortable night in hospital
  • Bolton offer fans chance for quiet reflection and prayer for Muamba on Tuesday