Cookies on

The Premier League website employs cookies to improve your user experience. We have updated our cookie policy to reflect changes in the law on cookies and tracking technologies used on websites. If you continue on this website, you will be providing your consent to our use of cookies. Find out more.

Saturday 07 January 2012

Saturday's FA Cup third-round review

Wigan go out while three Barclays Premier League teams must play replays

Paul Benson's winner means Swindon reach the fourth round for the first time since 1996

Barclays Premier League strugglers Wigan became the highest-profile team to be knocked out of the FA Cup after a 2-1 third-round away defeat by npower League Two side Swindon Town.

Callum McManaman put the visitors ahead after Ben Watson's 35th-minute penalty hit the post, but Alan Connell equalised for the hosts five minutes later.

And Swindon, managed by former West Ham favourite Paolo di Canio, secured their win when Matt Ritchie's shot deflected off Paul Benson to beat Ali Al-Habsi 14 minutes from time.

A 77th-minute equaliser from David Wheater spared Bolton the same fate after a 2-2 draw with Macclesfield.

Ivan Klasnic put the Trotters 1-0 up but goals from Colin Daniel and Arnaud Mendy put the npower League Two side on course for a famous upset until Wheater's header.

An 89th-minute equaliser from Heidar Helguson saved QPR a third-round exit after a 1-1 draw with npower League One side MK Dons.

The Iceland international capitalised on a defensive misunderstanding to cancel out Dean Bowditch's 65th-minute opener.

Wolves will also need a replay to resolve their tie against west Midlands rivals Birmingham following a goalless draw at St Andrews.

All Barclays Premier League affair

In the only Barclays Premier League match-up of the day, an injury-time winner from Jonas Gutierrez saw Newcastle pile more pressure on bottom-club Blackburn following a 2-1 win at the Sports Direct Arena.

David Goodwillie put the visitors in front on 35 minutes but Hatem Ben Arfa equalised in the 70th minute and Gutierrez ensured no replay was needed with his 95th-minute goal.

Elsewhere, Fulham, Everton, Tottenham, Stoke, Norwich, West Brom, Swansea and Aston Villa all advanced into the fourth round with victories.

Clint Dempsey hit a hat-trick for Fulham at Craven Cottage in a comfortable 4-0 win over Charlton, while Everton fought off admirable resistance from Blue Square Bet Premier team Tamworth with a 2-0 home win.

Manager Harry Redknapp used the opportunity to rest key Tottenham players as his side produced a straight-forward 3-0 win over npower League Two team Cheltenham at White Hart Lane.

Tony Pulis enjoyed a successful return to former club Gillingham as his Stoke side ran out 3-1 winners at the Priestfield Stadium.

A confident Norwich display saw the Canaries record a 4-1 win over Burnley at Carrow Road, while Swansea had to fight back from behind to overcome a spirited Barnsley team 4-2 at Oakwell.

And a second-half hat-trick from Simon Cox ensured West Brom progressed at Cardiff's expense following a 4-2 win at the Hawthorns.

Goals from Marc Albrighton, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ciaran Clark secured a 3-1 win for Aston Villa against Bristol Rovers at the Memorial Stadium.

Share this page

Key Points

  • Wigan highest-profile casualties of FA Cup third-round
  • Newcastle win all-Premier League match against Blackburn
  • Bolton, QPR and Wolves must play replays