Wednesday 15 February 2012
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Huddlestone is set to miss the rest of the season as he requires yet more surgery.
The 25-year-old, who has made only two Barclays Premier League appearances so far this campaign, will undergo a second operation after injuring his ankle in August.
"Tom will undergo a second stage of surgery on Friday"
- Spurs statement
A statement on the Spurs official website said: "Tom will undergo a second stage of surgery on Friday to further his recovery following ankle surgery at the end of last year.
"The midfielder has progressed well since his initial surgery, with the specialist determining that the anticipated reconstruction of a lateral ankle ligament is the next step towards the England international making a return to full fitness."
Huddlestone has endured a frustrating time with injuries at White Hart Lane since joining the club from Derby County for £2.5m in 2005.
He has made 124 Barclays Premier League appearances for Spurs during that time, and won three England caps under previous manager Fabio Capello.
Huddlestone said on his Twitter account: "Thanks for the messages. My season is over before it even started, operation Friday. Main objective is to make sure I'm 100% for pre-season."
Spurs have dealt well with Huddlestone's absence, with Harry Redknapp's side lying third in the Barclays Premier League.