Thursday 29 December 2011
Newcastle United midfielder Cheick Tiote says he has no intention of leaving the Sports Direct Arena during the January transfer window.
The Ivory Coast international has impressed during the Magpies' spectacular start to the season and his name has been linked with a move to a number of prominent Barclays Premier League clubs.
But the 25-year-old, who joined the Magpies in August 2010 from Dutch club FC Twente, insists he is enjoying his football in the north-east.
"I am flattered by clubs interested but there is nothing official," he said.
"We need to bring in a defender"
- Alan Pardew
"When teams such as Chelsea, City, Liverpool, United are interested in you it makes you think twice, but I love Newcastle, I belong to Newcastle and I enjoy my life here."
Meanwhile, Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has prioritised signing a central defender when the transfer window opens on 1 January.
The club had been set to sign striker Modibo Maiga for £6m from French club Sochaux, but the move broke down during the medical stage because of cornerns about the Mali international striker's knees.
Newcastle will lose top scorer Demba Ba in January when the striker goes on international duty with Senegal for the Africa Cup of Nations.
But Pardew insists he has adequate cover with the likes of Shola and Sammy Ameobi, Peter Lovenkrands and Leon Best.
"As far as we are concerned, we will go with what we have got," he said.
"You have to pay over the odds in this window - and you have to accept that if you are going to invest in this window. We won't [do that] in terms of a striker."